Embedded Software Development
I have two years' experience in embedded development, having tackled such projects as:
- Porting Petalinux to a new board (this involved U-Boot, device tree and kernel configuration.)
- Developing control plane software on an NXP MCU for a professional audio/video product. This software managed an FPGA that performed video processing and an HDMI transceiver that did HDCP encryption/decryption, and communicated with a separate network processor to manage metadata about the AV network traffic.
- Porting an Ubuntu kernel to run on a Xilinx Ultrascale+ board instead of using the normal kernel shipped with Petalinux.
- Developing and updating bare-metal control plane software for a professional video product.
- Enhancing device drivers in Petalinux for a product intended for deployment in low Earth orbit.
Although most of my work experience has been in software, my Bachelor and Master's Degrees are in electrical engineering, so I understand schematics and readily understand things like how I2C and SPI busses work, how FPGAs work, and how to bridge the "impedance mismatch" often present between hardware and software.
Copyright © 2022 Skoll Software Consulting